The Nvidia Shield updated today with Google's new "Google TV" UI, and it's absolutely horrific. I'm clearly not the only one that thinks so. The Shield subreddit blew up this morning with complaints about the change. Google took a simple UI that allowed uncluttered access to installed apps and replaced it with advertisements for the multitude of current streaming video options.
This simply won't stand, man! Turns out that this is an easy enough fix. The steps I took are as follows:
- Enter the Google Play Store and install a different Launcher
- I used the free TVLauncher (pictured at top)
- Go to Settings > About
- Scroll to Build and click until Developer Options are available
- Enter Developer Options and enable USB Debugging and Debugging over Network
- Write down IP address associated with Network Debugging
- On another machine, ensure you have ADB drivers installed
- Type: "adb connect [ip address from previous step]"
- Type: "adb devices" to ensure you're connected
- Type: "adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher"
Now my Nvidia Shield is clean and simple again! No bullshit ads for services I'll never use or pay for. I call that a huge success!